Secure your home this Christmas
Every home is a potential target for burglary especially during the festive season.
Today, most homes contain lots of valuables including televisions, computers, laptops, DVDs and other devices that are extremely portable. With this in mind, it’s important that you take the right security measures to keep you, your family and your home safe this Christmas.
Here are our top 10 tips.
1. Make sure the exteriors door hinges of your home are on the inside rather then the outside. If they’re on the outside it’s easy for someone to take out the pins and pull the door out of the frame.
2. If you have sliding doors, secure them by adding a bolt lock or use a rod to block the door when it’s closed.
3. Use a UV pen to mark an ID number, such as a driver’s license, on the valuables in your home. This is a really effective way to keep your valuables safe.
4. Get into the habit of locking all your doors and windows when you go out.
5. Get insurance.
6. Alarm systems are great deterrents.
7. If you’re out or away on holidays consider using timers to turn your lights, televisions or sound systems on and off. This will give your home a ‘lived-in’ look.
8. Installing motion-detecting floodlights around your home is a great security measure. However, be sure to mount them high enough to prevent someone from disabling them.
9. Don’t let your mail, newspapers or flyers accumulate while you’re away. Ask a friend or neighbour to collect your mail. You can also consider asking the post office to hold your mail and if you have a newspaper delivered see if you can put it on hold until you get back.
10. If you have a double-cylinder deadbolt that’s operated by a key, both inside and out, keep the key near the door so that every family member can find it and exit quickly, in case of a fire or an emergency. This is really important.
Keep your family and your home safe. Be smart this Christmas and take extra care when securing your home.
- 0 comments